In between all the Legnum work, I managed to crack on with the pulley and shaft some more.
Started with boring the pulley to size
Started doing final cuts on the shaft.
Machined the shoulder down to size.
Ready to be pressed together.
Pressed together and put back in the lathe to machine down the pulley boss.
I noticed after pressing the pulley onto the shaft, the bearing wasn’t quite able to slide on, a bit more needed to be machined.
Finished and placed into the prototype.
Tension is horrible, but I’ll correct it by moving the bearing out 2mm further.
Quick video to show it spinning and the slackness, plus a quick view of the compressor wheel spinning.
After the initial CADing, I soon found that the holes where not evenly spaced.
I did a bunch of printed test jigs to get the hole pattern worked out.
Once the pattern with within 0.5mm, I adjust the model and hit print.
~ 260mm x 240mm x 24mm
Plonked onto the supercharger and it lines up perfect.
Pressed the bearing in.
It almost looks like a thing…
Off to the workshop to do some machining.
Grabbed a length of 32mm Titanium bar I have laying around and dropped it into the power hacksaw. Where it proceeded to remove most of the teeth on the blade, forcing me to replace the blade with a spare 😛
Into the lathe and send it!
The long side is roughed out, I’ll machine it specifically to suit the pulley after it has been bored.
Bearing fitted on nicely.
Quick test fit, looks like a thing.
A couple of days later, I swung into the workshop and machined the pulley most of the way, just need to do the final bore to size, then finished the shaft to be a press fit.
Till next time!
Since the P2 ships without a gearbox, I’ve got to make one. I did some basic math to work out impeller speeds and motor speeds needed, then decided a 1:2 gearbox on the P2 would be suitable, then a 1:1.8 to 1:2.5 from crank would do the rest if needed.
I ordered a T5 36 tooth timing pulley and a 300mm belt to suit. The belt is a cheap one, just to prove the design, but will eventually be replaced with a high quality Gates belt.
Quick ‘dummy’ fit to give me some idea of how it fits together and it will allow me to transfer that into CAD.
I found that the 6004-2Z bearings were sufficient for the job, being able to handle 30000rpm+, handle the appropriate loads and were affordable (~$13ea).
I bought two for the input shaft and two for spares.
Knocked up this quick design, it will more then likely change as I find out things don’t fit, need tweaked or changed.
Started to 3D print a test, but it failed about an hour in. ~250mm diameter ABS prints are a bit tricky to stop warping, so will switch to ABS for the next go.
Till next time!
The Speedmaster P2 Supercharger is a clone/knock off of the Vortech centrifugal range of superchargers.
Unfortunately it ships without a gearbox and is a little pricy for just a core ($1250+).
That’s right, $1295.91 down to $490… And at the time, if you paid with AfterPay, Ebay gave you another 25% off! Yep, for $370, one of these toys could be mine to tinker with and not cost me good turbo / supercharger money…
So as I do with many things, I impulse bought one. I don’t have an immediate use for it, but I believe I have the available tools, skills and knowledge to make it ‘work’ good enough to throw on one of the cars, maybe the 3MZFE when it goes in the AW11. Anyway, it shipped and arrived relatively quick.
It’s fucking huge.
Big boy impeller
Nearly take a full 4 fingers…
While it lacks a gearbox, it does have a simple T5 18 tooth timing pulley on the impeller shaft.
Quality looks ‘OK’. Will see how it looks once it’s being spun by something.
Till next time!